Setting up your Time Warner San Diego email account in Microsoft Outlook (a component of Microsoft Office) or in Thunderbird (an email client developed by Mozilla) is a fairly simple and intuitive process. No matter which software package you use for your email, you are going to need certain information in order to successfully send and receive email. It really doesn’t have to be for San Diego-only customers either, since you can use this tutorial no matter what city you’re in.
Gather What You Need
The information you need is:
- Your Time Warner Cable email address.
- The password for your email account. This would have been established when you initially set up your account with Time Warner San Diego.
- The incoming mail server name, also known as the POP mail server name. This is typically pop-server. followed by the portion of your email address after the “@” sign. So if your email is firstname.lastname@example.org, the pop server name would be “pop-server.nyc.rr.com”
- The outgoing mail server name, also known as the SMTP mail server name. This is entered the same way as the pop server, but substitute “smtp” for “pop”. The same email address example above would use “smtp-server.nyc.rr.com”
- Port and security settings for both the POP and SMTP mail servers (outgoing mail requires authentication).
Most of this information should be available from Time Warner San Diego, if you do not have it available.
Before configuring your Time Warner Cable email account in either Outlook or Thunderbird, you should confirm your computer is connected to the Internet before proceeding. To check, launch a web browser and click a few links to see if they connect.
Configuring Time Warner San Diego Email in Outlook
Configuring your Time Warner Cable email account in Microsoft Outlook.
- Launch Microsoft Outlook on your computer
- Click on the “File” tab and then navigate down to “Add Account.” A new box should appear in the middle of your screen.
- Enter your name in the “Name” field. Note that how you enter your name here is exactly how it’s going to show up in the recipient’s email inbox, so think carefully about how you want recipients to see your name. If you want your email to show as “Mike” instead of “Michael,” or if you want to be known by a nickname, this is where you configure it.
- Enter your email address and password in the appropriately labeled fields.
- Click “Next”
- Check the “Manually Configure” box.
- Select “POP3” from the pull down menu and enter the POP and SMTP server addresses as described in the above section.
- Click on the “More Settings” button which is found in the bottom right corner of the window.
- Click on the “Outgoing Server” tab and put a check in the “Require Authentication” box.When requested, enter your entire email address and password.
- Click “Test Account Settings” to confirm you’ve successfully configured your account.
- Upon confirmation that your account has been correctly set up, click “Close.”
- Click “Finish” to close the window.
- Now you just have to sit back and wait for an email to show up in your inbox, so you can confirm it is configured correctly.
- To receive your email immediately in Outlook, click on the “Home” tab and click “Send/Receive” to access your email messages or you can just patiently wait for Outlook to look for mail itself. It will regularly do this and you don’t need to continually click the Send/Receive button.
If you are in a rush to see if your email works correctly compose and email message to yourself. After you hit send it will go into your outgoing box, disappear into your sent folder and then, shortly afterward, reappear in your inbox. If your mail server is quick you may never even see the message in the outgoing box.
Configuring Email in Thunderbird
Setting up your Time Warner Cable email in Mozilla Thunderbird is extremely similar to the configuration of Microsoft Outlook.
- Download Thunderbird from the Mozilla site, if you already haven’t done so.
- Click on “Tools” and select “Account Settings” and click “Add Mail.”
- Enter your name (as you want it to appear in the recipient’s inbox), your Time Warner email address and password.
- Click on “Manual Configuration” to manually set up the account.
- Configure the SMTP server by entering the appropriate information as described above. Check “Use Name And Password” in the “Security and Authentication” portion of the window. Check “Use Secure Authentication” and then “OK” to save the information and close the box.
- Click “Server Settings” to enter your POP information. In the “Server Name” field, enter the POP server information as described above. Close the box when finished.
- Repeat steps 10 through 14 from the above section.
Configuring your Time Warner San Diego email doesn’t get much easier than this.
Photo Credit: Jose Campoy