Somebody loves you and bought you an iPad, iPad mini, or iPad2 for Christmas, or maybe it was just to say how much you are appreciated. Now that you have one, you want to snag some of the hottest iPad applications out there. You’ve already looked at the Apple store, but there are thousands of applications out there, many of them free, and it’s tough to sort through everything. So how do you know what is the best?
If you are going to spend money on iPad applications, you want to know you will get your money’s worth. We’ve looked at some of the apps out there and we have come up with a list of what we think are some of the best iPad applications to spend your money on.
Best iPad Apps: Games
Angry Birds Star Wars – all iPads with iOS 3.1.3 or later
- This is the latest edition in the Angry Birds franchise. The premise of the game is that pigs are trying to steal the birds eggs and the birds must stop them. A simple game, yet strangely addicting. In this edition, you are evading the dreaded Imperial Starfleet with the help of a brand new Pink Bird, Princess Leia.
Pac-Man – all iPads with iOS 4.3 or later
- One of the original classic games from the original arcades. The only update to the game is the interface and the fact that you no longer have to plug in quarters every time you want to play.
Minecraft – all iPads with iOS 4.3 or later
- Minecraft is a game about breaking and placing blocks to build anything you can imagine, just be sure to finish before nightfall so the monsters don’t get you. You can work by yourself or with friends to survive in this virtual world.
Call of Duty: Black Ops Zombies – all iPads with iOS 4.2 or later
- The CoD addicts can get their fix away from home with 50 levels of zombie slaying action and multi-player capability.
Cut the Rope – all iPads with iOS 4.3 or later
- A challengingly addictive game. Players solve dynamic physics based puzzles, as they attempt to “cut the rope” to feed candy to the monster.
Best iPad Apps: Entertainment
Netflix – all iPads with iOS 5.0 or later
- If you already have a subscription you can add this application for free. If you don’t have it, then subscribe to get hundreds of movies and television shows that you can watch on your iPad, TV, or computer for one low monthly price. They even have a lot of great cancelled TV shows!
JustinTV – all iPads with iOS 4.0 or later
- An excellent application that lets you watch any of the 2,500 live channels, including sports, anime and news.
The Night Sky – all iPads with iOS 4.3 or later
- This app enables you to identify almost anything you see in the sky above you, or even those hidden by clouds. Just stand anywhere and hold your iOS device up to the sky and this program will display the names of the stars, planets and other objects that are in that area of the sky.
360 Panorama – iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation), iPad Wi-Fi + 4G, iPad (4th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (4th generation), iPad mini and iPad mini Wi-Fi + Cellular. Requires iOS 4.0
- An app that turns your iOS device into a 360-degree panoramic camera. It allows you to capture and share your view within seconds by panning the camera.
Best iPad Apps: Office
iWork – all iPads, some features require iOS 6
- This is a great application for anyone that plans do more than just play games on their iPad. It is actually three programs in one; Pages, Numbers and Keynotes. Pages is a wonderful little word processor, Numbers is a spreadsheet application and Keynotes is fantastic for anyone that wants to build, open or edit a presentation on their iPad.
Fantastical – all iPads with iOS 5.0 or later
- A user friendly calendar application. Just type in “Dinner with Dave on Saturday” and Fantastical will schedule it. If your device supports dictation, it also has voice recognition and you can simply tell it what to schedule.
TurboScan – all iPads with iOS 4.3 or later
- A wonderful little app that turns your iPhone into a multi-page scanner for documents, it allows you to scan your documents and store, or email them as multi-page PDF or JPEG files.
There are thousands of apps out there, and these are just a few of what we think are the best applications you can get for your money. We’ve looked at a selection that covers everything from gaming to working, and hopefully covered a little of everything for you.