Amazon is one of the most convenient places to buy online these days, and it’s not just books that can be brought for bargain prices. If you want to buy storage drives on Amazon, then there are a vast number of different drives to choose from, so much so that for someone who doesn’t know exactly what they are looking for, it can be a little daunting.
However, if you take it one step at a time, then you can find the right storage drive for your needs, without being overwhelmed by the hundreds of options available.
You Need An Amazon Account to Buy Storage Drives on Amazon
Before you can purchase storage drives on Amazon, you need to make an Amazon account, if you don’t have one already. You will need a credit card, or a verified U.S bank account in order to make payments.
- Go to Amazon.com, and hover your mouse over the top right-hand corner where it says “Hello. Your Account, Sign in”. A list of option will pop up, and under the “Sign In” button click on the small link that says “New Customer, Start Here.”
- Enter the details requested in the Registration page, which will include your name, email address, a password and optional mobile phone number.
- Click “Create Account” and your new Amazon account will be ready.
If you want to use your U.S bank account for payments, you will need to verify it with Amazon. You can find instructions on how to do this on Amazon’s website.
Decide What Type of Storage Drive You Need
Deciding on what you need will make buying storage drives on Amazon much simpler. There are various types of storage drives, with some of the most common being external or internal versions of either a traditional hard disk drive (HDD) or a solid state drive (SSD).
The basic difference between the two is that an SSD has no moving parts (it uses a flash memory, like a USB), so it doesn’t succumb to wear and tear like a traditional hard drive can. SSD drives are much faster than an HDD, although they don’t have the same data storage capacity, and are more expensive than HDD.
Which one you choose depends on what you need it for. If you want a fast drive for on-the-go performance, then you can’t go past an SSD, but if you mainly need a large storage capacity for a desktop, then HDD is going to be more cost effective. There is also the option of a hybrid storage drive, so you can run programs from the SSD partition, and keep bulk storage in the HDD partition.
Check Amazon Best Sellers, Top Rated
When buying storage drives on Amazon, you can’t go past the Best Sellers and Top Rated sections to get an idea of what the buying public are putting their money on, and what products come with good recommendations.
Best Sellers are updated hourly, and you can see which products are gaining popularity, and which are decreasing in popularity via a small green or red arrow beside the product name.
- Type the style of storage drive you want into the “Search” field on the Amazon website.
- Click on the link to “Best Sellers” that will appear under the “Search” field. This will bring up a list of the 20 best selling storage drives on Amazon at that time.
- Click on the “Top Rated” link on the mid-right of the page to see the top 20 rated storage drives on Amazon at that time.
Choose Your Top Five
Once you have looked over the top rated and best selling storage drives, make a list of the top five that suit your needs. You will want to think about price, storage capacity, as well as the rating that other Amazon users gave the product. Out of this top five, then you can narrow the selection down to the storage drive that is just right for you.
Buying Storage Drives on Amazon
- Click on the link to the storage drive you have chosen, which will take you to the product page for that drive.
- On the right hand side of the page, click on the “Add to Cart” button to place that item in your shopping cart. Often there are extras available at this point, such as discounted or extended warranty options, free shipping options etc. that you can opt-in to.
- Click on the “Proceed to Checkout” button that will appear once you have added the storage drive to your virtual shopping cart. This will prompt you to sign in if you are not yet signed into Amazon. Simply enter your email address you used to create your account and your Amazon password.
- Enter your shipping and billing address into the fields provided on the next page then click “Ship to This Address” on the address you want to storage drive to be shipped to.
- Click on the Shipping Speed you desire (there are different options for U.S or international postage)
- Click on the payment method you are using, either a credit card or verified U.S bank account. Then click “Continue” on the right hand corner of the page to finalize and verify the order. Ensure you have entered the correct address, and all other details are correct before finalizing the payment.
Your storage drive should arrive within a couple of days, depending on your location, but if you have any problems, don’t hesitate to contact Amazon to make sure your purchase is heading your way.
Photo Credit: Wwarby