Programming Comcast remote codes looks like a daunting process, but it’s actually not as difficult as it seems. All it takes is a few simple steps and you’ll be set in no time.
How to Program Remote Codes for Comcast
1. Look at your remote control and make note of a few things that will make your life a little easier as you begin programming. Locate the buttons ‘TV’, ‘ Power’, and ‘Setup.’ Knowing where these are will keep you from scrambling to find them in the midst of the instructions.
2. Now you need to make a note of the manufacturer of your television (it’s usually found on the screen frame, near the bottom).
3. If you have the Comcast instructions for your remote, then look on the second page for the code or codes that corresponds to the manufacturer of your television. If you do not have the instructions then go to Comcast’s web site to find the correct code. Write this code down. Some brands have more than one code, write all of them down as you do not know which one will work for your model.
4. Turn on the power to your television.
5. Near the top of the remote is a button labeled ‘TV,’ push this once.
6. Next, you want to push and hold the button labeled ‘Setup’ until the TV mode button blinks two times.
7. Using the keypad on your remote, enter in the first four-digit code listed for your television brand. If you have entered the correct code the ‘TV’ light will blink twice, if the code is wrong then there will be one long blink and the remote will return to its original status and you will have to repeat from step 5, going with the next code on the list for your television brand.
8. Once the code is correctly entered, push the ‘power’ button and this should turn off the television.
Searching for the Remote Codes
If you have exhausted all the codes for your television manufacturer, or your manufacturer isn’t listed, don’t worry. There is still another technique you can use. Your remote has a built-in feature that allows it to run through all the codes until it finds the one that works. Unfortunately, this can take a very long time.
1. Turn on the power to your television.
2. Near the top of the remote is a button labeled ‘TV,’ push this once.
3. Next, you want to push and hold the button labeled ‘Setup’ until the TV mode button blinks two times.
4. Using the keypad on your remote, enter in the code ‘9 9 1’ and the ‘TV button should blink twice.
5. Direct the remote towards the television and push the ‘TV’ button, wait one second and push the ‘Power’ button. Slowly alternate between these two buttons until the television turns off. When the television turns off the remote has found the correct code.
Finding the Programmed Code
The remote has found the code and will now work, however you do not have that code for when you need to program it again. There is a way for you to discover what the programming code was.
6. Turn on the power to your television.
7. Near the top of the remote is a button labeled ‘TV,’ push this once.
8. Next, you want to push and hold the button labeled ‘Setup’ until the TV mode button blinks two times.
9. Using the keypad on your remote, enter in the code ‘9 9 0’ and the ‘TV button should blink twice.
10. Press ‘1’ on your keypad and after a few seconds the ‘TV’ button will blink, count the amount of times it blinks and write that number down. This is the first number of the code, if the light does not blink then the first digit is ‘0.’
11. After the light has stopped blinking press ‘2’ on your keypad and record the amount of times the light blinks. This is the second number of the code, if there is no blinking then the number is ‘0.’
12. Repeat steps ‘7’ and ‘8’ for the third and fourth digits of the code.
Keep the code in a safe place, perhaps writing it on the back of the remote in indelible marker, or on a sticker on the back of the remote.
Programming Comcast remote codes is not as difficult as it seems. Now that you know how to program your television you can follow through and program in your other items as well. Simply replace “TV” and “television” with AUX, Stereo, DVD or whatever other programmable buttons you have on your remote.
Soon your life will be much easier as all your peripherals work with one simple remote. You can even take your new-found knowledge and help your friends program in their Comcast remotes!