No one loves packing up their stuff and moving. It’s the worst. It’s also one of the most stressful situations in life, and it shouldn’t be! That’s why you need a moving in checklist!
We’re moving all of our belongings and everything that’s important to us from one address to another — and we have to do it in a limited time.
I just recently moved into a new place on April 1 (you might remember my “PODS” article a few weeks ago!), and had to deal with all the struggles and unpleasantness of moving in, unpacking, cleaning and all that stuff. So I thought I’d share this checklist of things to do when you’re moving in to a new home.
Moving In Checklist
This is all the stuff you need to try to do before/during your move-in. Some can be done after, but most would be much easier to do before you move in all of your furniture and boxes.
- Paint the walls
- Remove popcorn ceilings
- Clean out refrigerator
- Deep clean bathrooms/kitchen
- Refinish hardwood floors
- Clean the carpets with a steam cleaner while no furniture is in the way
- Seal any leaks in sinks/showers
- Replace fire extinguisher
- Replace batteries in smoke alarms/carbon monoxide detectors
- Pest control
- Set up home security or home automation
- Check to see if your furnace or air conditioner needs a tune up
- Check/fix windows and air ducts for leaks
- Start a Home Maintenance calendar
The worst thing about “almost moving” into a new place is that everything you need at your new place is always at the old place — until you move. So stock the new place with things you are almost positive you’ll need while getting the new place ready for a move.
- Toilet paper
- Paper towels
- Cleaning supplies
- Soap, shampoo
- Paper cups
- Paper towels
- Paper plates
- Plastic utensils
- Trash bags
- Flathead screwdriver
- Phillips-head screwdriver
- Tape measure
- Bottle opener
- Bottled water
Let me know if there’s anything you have on your “must-do” moving in checklist that I might have forgotten! And don’t forget — enter your new street address below to see what Cable TV, Internet and Home Phone providers are in your area.