How do I download free music safely and easily? That’s a question on many people’s minds with the proliferation of mobile devices. Whether it’s an i-device, Android-based, or something independent of either platform, you have a few choices when it comes to obtaining music for those devices.
If you don’t have a large CD collection, though, you have to download your music. There are a few songs from some select artists where you will have to pay to download, but for the vast majority of whatever type of music you like, there are a number of sites that are free. I’ll discuss my two favorites first, and then I’ll mention a couple that I use less regularly.
How Do I Download Free Music Safely?
4Shared is the site that I have used the longest and with the most regularity for downloading free music safely and easily.
4Shared now requires you to create a free account to download the music it has links to. Once you’ve created the account, you can start searching for and downloading music for free. Here’s how:
- Decide who and what to search for. In my example, I used the band Iron Butterfly.
- I have found a file that looks big enough to possibly be a music video, so I decide to download it. I right-click the link for the file I want and open it in a new tab — this allows me to keep my original search results open.
- On the new tab, there is a blue button with the “Download” label. Click this.
- Click the “Free Download” button and when the 20-second timer runs down, the download window will open.
- Locate the place on your system or device that you want the file and save it there.
For me, BeeMP3 is a relatively new music download site. I was having trouble finding a few songs on 4Shared and asked someone I knew, “How do I download free music and find harder-to-find songs?” He told me about his favorite site, BeeMP3.You don’t have to create an account here, just search, decide, and download. I use Internet Explorer for BeeMP3 because their code has some oddities that my Firefox doesn’t like.
Here are the steps to download free music from the site:
- Once you know who or what you’re searching for, type this information into the search bar. Then either hit thebutton on your keyboard or click the “Search” button in the page.
- Pick and click on something you want to download.
- You can stream the song and see if it’s what you’re looking for, but buffering takes quite awhile.
- Each time you visit the site, you’ll have to perform a simple math captcha before the download link is presented.
- Right-click the “Proceed to download” link and select “Save target as…”
- Choose where to download the music file to and save it.
I have a few Android devices, so I like to look around and see what’s available for them. MP3 Music Search Download Pro is something I found recently that allows me to use my tablet, or phone if I want to search for and download free music to the tablet, or phone. Most of the reviewers of this app have rated it quite highly, with an average score of 4.4 out of five.
Even better, when used on your Android smartphone, the app can be used to edit songs and then apply them as general or specific ringtones. This means you can assign specific songs as ringtones to fit the individual personalities of your contacts.
Use of the MP3 Music Search Download Pro app is very similar to the websites I mentioned above, with the main difference being that a new window or tab isn’t open for each download. When you click on a title you want to download, it enters your device’s download queue and is downloaded automatically. In order to import them to the music player app of your choice, simply refresh the player’s music library.
This app has been extensively tested and has been found to be compatible with all of the most popular devices running the last two major versions of Android (Jelly Bean 4.3 and Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0).
Hopefully, we’ve given you enough options to answer the question, “How do I download free music safely and easily?” Feel free to ask us any questions!
Photo Credit: Gene Han